[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Wed Jul 30 16:17:09 PDT 2008

Albert Graef wrote:
> Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>
>> Albert Graef <Dr.Graef at t-online.de> writes:
>>
>>> Here are some points worth considering:
>>> http://www.remlab.net/op/cmake.shtml (Some of these may already be
>>> addressed in newer cmake versions, I haven't checked recently.)
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Please, some LLVM release manager (Tanya?), read Albert's web page and
>> evaluate how much impact have the issues he raises on your work.
>>

> Note that the URL I referred to is not mine. I merely wanted to point
> out that there are some possible issues to consider before throwing the
> existing build system out of the window. Which might affect LLVM users
> for whom the current build system works fine, like me. :)

Especially where CMake is known *not* to work.  (CMake 2.6.0 cannot be
used to build itself on my configuration: it refuses to generate MinGW
makefiles because bash is on my path as \bin\sh.exe, and generates
broken MSYS files because it insists on using Cygwin filepaths rather
than MingW32 filepaths.)

I don't mind CMake as yet another configuration framework (especially if
it brings up MSVC and other non-UNIXy targets), but tossing the autoconf
framework (which does work, with very minor adjustments) will lock out
native MingW32 builds.

Kenneth