[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+cl at mega-nerd.com
Wed Jul 30 15:54:30 PDT 2008

Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> CMake just requires one plain text file named CMakeLists.txt on every
> source directory, and the only maintenance is to keep up to date the
> list of source files of the directory.

Has anyone read "Recursive Make Considered Harmful"?

    http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/
    http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf

I have been using single top level Makefiles (and automake Makefile.am)
for some time. For me they are far more reliable and maintainable. I have
not yet tried CMake.

For a large project using a single top level Makefile see the Linux
kernel sources.

Does CMake not support a non-recursive style usage?

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo