[LLVMdev] Analysis Passes

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 25 13:57:20 PDT 2008

Devang Patel wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Marc de Kruijf wrote:
>
> I'd like to write a pass that does both: implements a code transformation and saves information that can be accessed by subsequent passes.
>
> Ideally, we want to use two separate pass. However, it is quiet possible that your requirement is unique. Would it be possible to provide more info. on what your pass does ?

We actually have a similar situation with Automatic Pool Allocation
(APA) and SAFECode.  Some of the SAFECode passes need to query the
Automatic Pool Allocation transform pass to determine what it has done.
Examples include:

1) Given a pointer, what pool did APA use to allocate objects to which
the pointer can point?
2) Is a function a clone of an original function, and if so, which
function is the original function?
3) What is the LLVM type of a pool descriptor?  Different versions of
APA use a different type.

I think we could refactor APA into an analysis pass and transform pass.
The analysis pass does nothing on its own but has update methods that
other passes can use to update it's information.  When APA is run, it
updates the analysis pass, and when the SAFECode passes run, they get
the APA information from the analysis pass.

Just FYI.

-- John T.