[LLVMdev] Including svn version number in --version output

Tanya M. Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Thu Jul 10 11:17:45 PDT 2008

>>> I do not want to set the revision number in a source file every
>>> time I
>>> do 'svn update' :)
>>>

>> Ok, so I'm confused. Don't you want the svn revision number to be
>> shown when you do llvm-gcc --version? So why wouldn't you want to
>> update it everytime you update and then compile? Shouldn't it match
>> whatever svn version your build is using?
>
> I want build-llvm-gcc-but-rebuild-only-modified-files command to
> automatically pick up svn revision number, but I do not want to
> enforce "svn update" wrapper usage, if possible, to store svn revision
> number somewhere. And I do not want to reuse build number.

I didn't say to force people to use svn update. I'm suggesting to use the
svn revision number (via svnversion) as the build number. So that exactly
as you are doing in your patch to Makefile.in, but I'm saying to use that
svnversion number in the VERSUFFIX.

> Let's take example of checker build Ted produces on cfe-dev list. He
> regularly announces checker builds at http://clang.llvm.org/StaticAnalysis.html
> . The last one is checker-59 and it is not checker-(svn-revision-
> number). The build number, 59 in this example, is useful for the end
> user to connect the software build he received. The svn revision
> number is useful for the developer to track source base in svn.
> Usually, build number corresponds to a tag in svn tree.
>
> We have LLVM_VERSION_INFO to set build number. We need another
> mechanism to track svn revision numbers. This will even useful when
> people try to track issues reported by nightly tester, for example.

A build number can only correlate to a tag in the tree if one exists. In
the case you are dealing with, its TOT.. so you only have the revision
number to go by. So that can and should be used as the build number. You
could come up with some arbitrary number to represent the build, but then
you have to provide some mapping back to the developer when they want to
track down bugs, so whats the point?

Where exactly are you suggesting to put the svnversion number in the
version string then?

-Tanya