[LLVMdev] Simple user question

Luke Dalessandro luked at cs.rochester.edu
Thu Jul 10 05:29:32 PDT 2008

Hi everyone, I'm going to be working with LLVM locally to implement and
support some of our research projects.

As a first step I am trying to set up our build process to support builds by
both GCC and LLVM. I need to be minimally invasive to the current makefile
structure, in particular, I don't want to add any conditional tests to what is
already there (ie, I don't want the main makefile to test if CXX is LLVM, or
if there is an LLVM flag set, or anything like that).

Everything works great except that the current final rule to build the target
is essentially "$(CXX) $(LDFLAGS) $^ -o $@". During my LLVM build I've built
llvm bytecode libraries, and llvm bytecode targets.

Is there any way to convince llvm-gcc to use llvm-ld during linking rather
than the system ld? If there isn't then I'll have to muck with the build a bit
more to add something like FINAL_CXX, but everyone will see that and it may
generate a bit of annoyance (and will need to be another thing that is
modified for our public releases).

Thanks,
Luke