[LLVMdev] frontend support for cross-compilation?

John Regehr regehr at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jul 1 21:45:09 PDT 2008

Thanks Chris.  I'll follow any ongoing discussion about this.  Unless I'm
missing something, customizable widths for integer types is necessary to
achieve source-level compatibility with existing cross-compilers.

It would be great to see the fronend being parameterized by integer widths
at runtime.  There would be no noticable loss of efficiency and this would
avoid the obnoxious and error-prone situation of keeping many C frontends
sitting around.

FWIW CIL just lately became parameterizable at runtime with
machine-specific information and it's really handy.

John