[LLVMdev] GC infrastructure checked in

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at mac.com
Mon Jan 7 09:39:08 PST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 10:54, Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:

> Gordon Henriksen wrote:
>
>> That said, the PyPy group has llvmgcroot support on a branch; you
>> could ask Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes dot org> for details about
>> accessing it.
>>
>> On his benchmarks, Armin saw an 8% speedup vs. a shadow stack.
>> Their gcc backend still outperforms the LLVM backend, though—and
>> llvm-gcc outperforms that further still.
>
> The second part of this is not correct. I don't think we ever even
> tried llvm-gcc on the output of our C backend. What we see on x86
> machines is that LLVM's own code generators produce slower code than
> using LLVM's C backend and then running GCC on this. This however is
> then faster than our own C backend using GCC.

Thanks for the clarification, Carl.

> Hm, summary:
>
>    pypy-llvm-backend with llvm's codegen
>  < pypy-c-backend with GCC
>  < pypy-llvm-backend using llvm's C backend and then GCC

I wonder what the impact of using llvm-gcc instead of GCC is in this
final pipeline. If that actually works, you could indeed eliminate the
shadow stack here as well, since llvm-gcc has extensions to emit
gcroot intrinsic calls. It's currently hardwired to the shadow-stack
codegen, but that's very fixable.

— Gordon