[LLVMdev] Idea of a tool to help in library versioning

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Fri Feb 29 13:48:32 PST 2008

On Feb 29, 2008, at 6:10 AM, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> Then I got the idea of generating an API description file from the
> public header files of the library

Sounds neat.  In the past I've done this with objdump for the public
symbols in a library.  In theory you don't care about types no
findable by the api.  A nice tool would allow one to stamp the
interface as release time, and then put that into the source so that
one can get build errors when follow on work don't exactly match it.
At flag days, one can then bump the major number and delete the
interface file and essentially start over.