[LLVMdev] Slight troubles following "Getting Started" instructions

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Feb 26 13:28:33 PST 2008

Just for whoever it maintaining the "Getting Started" instructions at
http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html :

The page is missing a link to the download section. Returning to the
main page at http://llvm.org/ , I found the Site Map, checked it - and
didn't see the download link (well, it's sitting right below, but
there's so much text on that page that I simply overlooked it).

The download page was the next challenge.It gave me source code at the
beginning, source code at the end, and lots of keywords about Mingw32,
MacOS, Red Hat, and another bunch of source code.
Only now that I'm writing up my experience I see there's an inner
structure to the list: LLVM, then LLVM-GCC 4.2, then LLVM-GCC 4.0. LLVM
starts with sources, LLVM-GCC (inconsistently) starts with binaries and
gives sources later.
Suggestion 1: Strukture the download list, like so:
* LLVM
  * LLVM source code (5.4M)
  * LLVM Test Suite (53M)
  * LLVM Binaries for Minw32/x86 (14M)
* LLVM-GCC 4.2 Front End
  * Binaries for MacOS X/x86 (50M)
  * Binaries for Red Hat Enterprise Linux4/x86 (42M)
  * Source Code (49M)
* LLVM-GCC 4.0 Front End
  * ...
Oh, and possibly a note why one would want LLVM, LLVM-GCC 4.2, and
LLVM-GCC 4.0, respectively. People usually know what OS they use and
whether they want binaries or sources, but those who're new to LLVM
won't know whether they will need LLVM or LLVM-GCC (and if they need
LLVM-GCC, they can't decide whether they need 4.2 or 4.0).

Suggestion 2: make the layout wider so the links don't wrap.

Oh, and please don't label the Linux binaries "Red Hat Linux". Anything
with a primary label of "Red Hat" gets filtered out for me on an almost
subconscious level since I'm running an Ubuntu box, so the primary
labels that I look for are "Linux" and "Ubuntu". "Red Hat Enterprise
Linux" is quite a moutful, and the trigger keyword is almost last on
that line (and wrapped, too).
I'd rephrase that as "Binaries for Linux (tested for Red Hat Enterprise
Linux)" or something. (Heck, I'm not even sure whether it will run on
any Linux other than RHEL. I have no idea what differences there might
be between RHEL and Ubuntu; I surely hope none that affect LLVM-GCC.)

Just my 2c, in the hopes that it's useful to somebody.

Regards,
Jo