[LLVMdev] Pointer Vs integer register classes.

Sanjiv Gupta llvmdev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 04:43:29 PST 2008

Is there any way to keep pointer and integer register classes separate?
My target has two 16-bit registers that can be used to contain address of
data in register indirect addressing mode.
I want to specify a register class for 16-bit pointer registers so that
these registers can be allocated to pointers , at the same time I want all
other interger operations to be expanded to 8-bit operations.
If I specify an i16 type register class for pointers, LLVM does not expand
i16 interger operations as it finds Action for these types as Legal.
Should I use MVT::iPTR for adding pointer register class? The comment in
ValueTypes.h says that MVT::iPTR should only be used in .td files.

TIA,
Sanjiv