[LLVMdev] Is there someone tried LLVM 2.1 on Visual Studio 2005?

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Mon Feb 18 21:46:20 PST 2008

OK, a couple of things aren't parsing here.

> When config.h.in is hit in the build of configure the configure
> project,
> the configure.h file from the win32 directory is copied to main
> llvm\Config\Config.h.  The script in the sln file is:

There is no "configure.h" file from the win32 directory; there is a
config.h, and it's 600 bytes long, compared to the 16k or so for the
config.h file in $LLVM-ROOT/include/llvm/Config. The contents are obviously
different, as well, since the one in $LLVM-ROOT/include/llvm/Config has the
LLVM_ON_UNIX #define set.

It didn't appear to be doing the copy even when building from within VS.
Using "vcbuild /clean" then "vcbuild" on the Configure.vcproj file directly
seems to have forced the copy to take place. I can see the "1 file(s)
copied" output in the BuildLog.

Except it doesn’t. File date/time reveals that nothing's been done to it,
and opening it up confirms that the win32\config.h isn't appended.

For whatever reason, only by manually deleting the config.h file in the
llvm/include/Config directory can I get the project to re-gen that config.h
file. I'm not sure if this is a property of running the build from the
command-line (but I'm guessing it's not, since MSBuild is used internally
inside VS), or if the file-copy is being prevented by something in my
environment (files are marked writable, I already checked).

I don't know if you need to be "more clever" here, since MSBuild is fully
capable of doing what you're trying to get it to do--I have no idea why
those file copies appear to be failing. Can you double-check and make sure
they're working correctly on your machine? That way we know it's a
peculiarity of my setup and not something intrinsic inside the build script.

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com