[LLVMdev] Working on getting MingW32/native tools-only source build up

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Wed Feb 6 09:19:30 PST 2008

Kenneth Boyd wrote:
> Using MingW32/GCC 4.2.1 binary release, mix of Cygwin and MingW32
> auxilliary tools, ActivePerl's Perl 5.8.8; operating system Vista.  I'm
> not going to worry about bootstrapping llvm-gcc until I know I can
> bootstrap gcc.

I have the tools-only target building without errors on my end :)
> 1) ActivePerl uses the wrong shell (cmd.exe rather than sh.exe) when
> doing backticks.  I had to moderately rewrite llvm-config to use the Cwd
> module's abs_path function before it worked.
>
> Apologies in advance if this is already documented on the site: which
> files would I need to modify so that llvm-config gets auto-generated
> correctly?
llvm-config.in.in, "of course".  Would a patch that tries to use the Cmd
module, as well as the current implementation, be reasonable?
> 2) I'm getting massive link errors on template function instantiations
> (no tools are being created), ....

Libraries weren't being linked in; I worked around this by adjusting the
affected makefiles to explicitly mention the required library
shorthands.  I was doing a static-only build:
../llvm.svn/configure --prefix=/cpp_app/llvm.svn.obj --disable-shared
--enable-assertions --enable-expensive-checks

Affected tools: bugpoint, llc, lli, llvm2cpp, llvmc, llvm-ar, llvm-as,
llvm-bcanalyzer, llvm-db, llvm-dis, llvm-extract, llvm-ld, llvm-link,
llvm-nm, llvm-prof, llvm-ranlib, llvm-upgrade, opt .

Kenneth Boyd