[LLVMdev] "grep -w" irregularity

Misha Brukman brukman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 16:55:09 PST 2008

2008/12/30 Scott Michel <scottm at aero.org>

> Not entirely sure how to categorize this particular problem, but it's
> clearly platform test related: "grep -w" appears to operate
> differently on the x86_64 linux buildbot versus my local Mac OS
> 10.4.11 and Ubuntu x86_64. In the CellSPU's shift_ops.ll test case,
> "grep -w shlh" returns the correct 9 expected occurances, whereas the
> x86_64 buildbot finds 10.

Does the asm output differ, or does grep output itself differ on these two
platforms, with the same asm input file?  I just took the .s output file
from a run on an x86/Linux box, and tested it with grep on multiple systems,
including the ones you list, and they all agree the answer is 9.

Can you diff the assembly files generated on those two platforms (though
they should be identical, since llc specifies the architecture)?

> Any suggestions for a workaround, other than to ditch using "grep -w"?

Personally, I think that testing as we have for optimization correctness via
'grep' should be replaced by unittests, which are much more precise.

Misha