[LLVMdev] ICE while building llvm-gcc

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Tue Dec 16 22:38:04 PST 2008

Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:

> Comparing stages 2 and 3
> warning: ./cc1-checksum.o differs
> warning: ./cc1plus-checksum.o differs
> Bootstrap comparison failure!
> ./c-decl.o differs
> ./cp/decl.o differs
> ./df-core.o differs
> ./gcc.o differs
> ./i386.o differs
> ./stor-layout.o differs
> ./tree-pretty-print.o differs
> ./tree.o differs
> make[2]: *** [compare] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [stage3-bubble] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I've been seeing the same error today, and Anton mentioned seeing it as
well on IRC. I've decided to file this as PR 3227 and cc you.

What I'm going to do is take a known good LLVM version, a known failing
LLVM version, and bisect them to see where the failure was introduced.

It's possible that it could have been introduced while the GVN bug
(llvm.org/PR3217, the ICE you had at the start of this thread) was
around, and that will complicate the bisection...

> I got a very similar error (but with a few more differing .o files)
> when I synced to a revision that had worked on my Linux box. This is
> with just a `make`, not `make bootstrap`, so I'm surprised it's even
> doing this comparison, but I also don't know how to debug it.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=Bootstrap+comparison+site%3Alists.cs.uiuc.edu%2Fpipermail
> doesn't find any results either.

Yeah, a bootstrap build is the default these days. I'm pretty sure
that's true for FSF GCC as well.

Nick