[LLVMdev] LegalizeIntegerType and truncating stores

Mon Ping Wang monping at apple.com
Fri Dec 12 15:55:48 PST 2008

Hi,

In PromoteIntOp_STORE, why can we not promote a value and generate a
truncating store if the incoming store is a truncating store?
Naively, I can't see why we can promote the incoming value to a legal
type and then generate a truncating store.  For example, one has
incoming code  that produces an i16 via some operation and does a
truncating store the result of that value in i8.  If that operation
only has a 32 bit variant, it seems reasonable to promote the i16 to
i32 and replace the truncating store from i16 to i8 with one from i32
to i8.

Thanks,
   -- Mon Ping