[LLVMdev] Proposal : Function Notes

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Sat Aug 23 06:58:41 PDT 2008

Hi Devang,

> All supported notes must be documented in LLVM language reference.
Does this also mean that undocumented / unsupported notes are invalid? In
particular, when I have a custom frontend and backend, using custom notes
could be a great way to communicate between those, if the LLVM IR would allow
unknown notes.

Other than that, this seems like a decent approach. As Andrew pointed out, I
do think that perhaps calling conventions and function attributes could be
included as notes, though I think most (if not all) of them are conceptually
different (but perhaps a few could be moved?).

Gr.

Matthijs