[LLVMdev] current llvm vs. current gcc code size

Dale Johannesen dalej at apple.com
Fri Aug 22 11:27:55 PDT 2008

This is interesting.  Nobody has tried very hard to get -Os to work
well AFAIK, so it's that not surprising it doesn't:)  Aside from
optimization knobs, I don't think there's anything in x86 instruction
selection to pick small code sequences, which can be important.  I
suspect -Os will become important later though.

One thing that might be going on is differing default settings.  These
are worth checking out:
Frame pointer elimination (small prolog/epilog)?
Relocation model (PIC, dynamic-no-pic, static?)
strict aliasing?