[LLVMdev] hard values in SequentialType::indexValid () method

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Aug 20 18:01:39 PDT 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Alireza.Moshtaghi at microchip.com wrote:

>> I realize that sign extensions have non-zero impact when they exist
>> in
>> the .s file.  My assertion is that these will be zapped by the dag
>> combiner.  Have you actually tried this?
>
> Yes, I have and they work just fine for us. I misunderstood your first
> email, I thought you are pointing at a problem, while you are actually
> saying that there is no problem.

Ok

> So back to my original question...
> Would adding i16 to indexValid() do the trick? Or we need to do more?

It's more tricky than that.  The bc encoding uses one bit to
distinguish between the i32 and i64 cases.  There may also be implicit
assumptions elsewhere that indexes are 32 or 64-bits.  The best thing
to do is to start making the change and see what breaks :).  There are
probably not very many places that depend on this.

-Chris