[LLVMdev] Eliminating gotos

David Greene dag at cray.com
Thu Aug 14 15:46:29 PDT 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008 16:55, Benedict Gaster wrote:
> Hi Mon Ping,
>
> Discussing this with others in AMD it came up if it is possible for LLVM to
> take a program that has a reducible graph (any C code without goto/setjmp)
> and generate one that is irreducible?

Oh, absolutely.  Simply implementing short-circuited evaluation efficiently
can do that.  Not to mention optimization passes massively restructuring
the code in unique and unintelligible ways.

My favorite optimization moment came when someone here was searching
for a user message to output after he implemented some fancy tricks.  His
first suggestion was, "The loop at line X was vectorized beyond your
comprehension."  :)

                                                                   -Dave