[LLVMdev] gfortran link failure in current llvm svn

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Thu Aug 14 00:25:09 PDT 2008

> I just looked at what's going on here, and I threw up a little in my
> mouth.

Just for the record, I agree totally with Bill here.  One of the most
off-putting things when I started working on the llvm-gcc Ada front-end
was seeing the poor quality of some of the Apple changes.  I'm mostly
thinking of generic code that was modified to call back into the C-like
front-ends, like this latest example.  I can understand that Apple is only
interested in C-like languages, and that it was easier to change things as
they did rather than put in the extra time and effort required to design
a language-independent solution.   It also wasn't hard to "fix" these
problems: I introduced stub-c.c and stub-objc.c for that.  But it did
leave a bad taste in my mouth, and is one of the reasons I would like
to rebase llvm-gcc on top of mainline gcc, and have Apple make their
changes on top of llvm-gcc in their own branch, rather than the other
way round.  That way Apple can concentrate on the languages they care
about, while llvm-gcc can remain language agnostic.

Best wishes,

Duncan.