[LLVMdev] gfortran link failure in current llvm svn

Bill Wendling isanbard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:05:11 PDT 2008

On Aug 10, 2008, at 11:40 PM, Duncan Sands wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
>>   The curent llvm svn (r54623) is unable to link the gfortran
>> compiler in llvm-gcc-4.2 svn. I am getting the error...
>> Undefined symbols:
>>  "_create_init_utf16_var", referenced from:
>>      _darwin_build_constant_cfstring in libbackend.a(darwin.o)
>
> this is probably due to recent Apple changes.  Fortran builds on
> linux.

I just looked at what's going on here, and I threw up a little in my
mouth.

It's just horrendous. For some reason, they placed a whole bunch of
ObjC-building code into darwin.c, then had it call this function in
darwin-c.c. If I try to put that function into darwin.c, all hell
breaks loose. So even though the Fortran stuff wouldn't call the Obj-C
stuff in darwin.c, it appears like it still needs the darwin-c.c file
linked in with it.

-bw