[LLVMdev] gfortran link failure in current llvm svn

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Mon Aug 11 07:18:00 PDT 2008

Hi,

>    I am confused. Shouldn't the gcc 4.2 front-end build behave
> just like the FSF gcc build. The first stage builds the compilers
> and the second stage rebuilds them using those from the first
> stage?

the FSF gcc requires you to build the C compiler (I think - will check).
Thus a newly built C compiler is always available to build later stages.
We can't reasonably require everyone to build the C++ compiler (I
often don't - it speeds up the build considerably).  So we would
need some new logic to handle this situation.  It can doubtless
be done, but hasn't been done - mucking with the gcc build system
can be quite an adventure!

Ciao,

Duncan.