[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

David Greene dag at cray.com
Mon Aug 4 13:32:55 PDT 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008 00:22, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> >> Please no, pick a real language.  I love bash and it is fine for any
> >> 200 line or less program, but for much beyond that, something else.
> >> Python?c? C++?
> >
> > If I thought C was an appropriate choice to get this done, I'd be
> > patching the expect source code instead to deal with Microsoft's
> > non-implementation of POSIX.
> >
> > If a language conceals the differences between POSIX and Microsoftian C
> > for interprocess control, hides badly non-POSIX filepaths from me, and
> > has a reasonable track record of forward compatibility, and has a
> > reasonably universal build process, I'll consider crash-learning the
> > language if I'm not already working in it.
>
> For my test suite I use Tcl (with TclX, no Expect). It watches stdout
> and stderr, gets exit codes and has a timer for killing hanged
> processes. Process control works the same on Windows and Unix and takes
> a less than 30 lines of code.
>
> What else do you need?

A way to examine asm output and compate to expected patterns.

A way to run performance regression tests (i.e. looking at CPU time and
allowing for fuzz between test runs).

In my experience Tcl is very hard to work with due to the non-existence of
any reasonable debugging tools on all platforms.

                                                    -Dave