[LLVMdev] c char translated to i8 signext

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Wed Apr 30 11:06:03 PDT 2008

Ryan:

Not sure if this helps, but...

In the absence of an explicit signed/unsigned qualifier, the ANSI C
standard states that the signedness of char is implementation defined.

In the absence of a prototype, the compiler is obliged to pass that char
as a word, which (if char is signed) requires sign extend.

In the presence of a prototype, the sign extend is probably not strictly
required, but doing it regardless is a partial defense against certain
classes of common programming errors (not sure if this is what is going
on here).

So: if you don't have a prototype visible at the call site, add one and
see what happens.

shap