[LLVMdev] Lost in the documentation

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Apr 29 10:59:44 PDT 2008

>>> http://llvm.org/doxygen/
>>> http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/
>>> etc etc etc.
>>>
>>> — Gordon
>>
>> The doxygen page describes the complete internal structure of LLVM. It
>> explicitly says,
>>
>> ; This documentation describes the internal software that makes up
>> LLVM,
>> ; not the external use of LLVM. There are no instructions here on how
>> ; use LLVM, only the APIs that make up the software. For usage ;
>> instructions, please see the programmer's guide or reference manual.
>>
>> I haven't yet found a "programmer's guide".
>
> http://llvm.org/docs/ProgrammersManual.html

Here's what I have in mind to do with LLVM.  Thanks.  I have a few
languages to compile;  all of them require garbage collection.  I'll be
looking at the ocaml experience with some interest.  How far I get into
implementing them depends on the available time. and the state of my
enthusiasm.  It has been known to go missing, and it often gets diverted
to so-called real life.

One of these languages, Algol 68, I was working on about 35 years ago.
It was not finished mainly because at some point the machinery I was
developing it on became unavailable.  It correctly ran over half of a
demanding test suite when the project stopped.  It's now something I'd
like to finish more for old time's sake than any serious use.  35 years
ago, this compiler would run in about 900K memory.  That was a dream
machine back then.  Using an overlay linker, it could be crammed into
400K.  It was written in Algol W, and could use a new portable code
generator.  It used garbage collection at compile time, but on today's
machines I could probably get away with wholesale memory leakage.

To get it working, of course I need something that implements Algol W.
I've tinkered with translating Algol W to C or something similar.  I
originally intended to translate the Algol 68 compiler into Algol 68, to
make it self-supporting, but I never got that far.  I have an Algol W
parser, and at least one ancient attribute grammar that (too slowly)
translates it to something else.  Since I'll only be using it to develop
Algol 68, which runs in 900K, I can probably dispense with garbage
collection and just use my 4 gigabyte RAM instead.

I also have a self-implementing program-transformation tool. It consists
of a recursive-descent parser generator, a tree-rewriting system, and an
unparser.  In principle, it needs garbage collection.  In practise, well,
I've said it before.  Memories are large these days.

-- hendrik