[LLVMdev] PHP Zend LLVM extension (SoC)

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Wed Apr 23 23:28:51 PDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 12:54 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>> LLVM likely won't be able to do type inference for you.
>
> I'd put it another way: an existing llvm pass won't do type inference
> for you.  The right way to tackle this is to write an language-
> specific pass on LLVM IR that knows your runtime and can propagate
> types around.

Or just do it at the Zend bytecode level.

The meta-point is that performing that kind of optimization requires
higher level knowledge than what is explicitly represented in the LLVM
IR.  To obtain it, you either need to optimize at a higher level or
write an LLVM optimization that encodes language-specific high-level
knowledge.  Either approach will work, and it's your call which one is
easier for you to write.

--Owen