[LLVMdev] FoldingSetNodeID operations inefficiency

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Apr 23 15:07:55 PDT 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Roman Levenstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While profiling LLVM using my test-cases with huge MBBs, I noticed that
> FoldingSetNodeID operations (ComputeHash,insertion,etc) may become
> really inefficient for the nodes, which have very many operands.

Here is a stupid idea, which is simple and probably really effective:

This only affects you because you have 3200 operands to your TF node.
This only affects TF because TF can take an arbitrary number of operands,
and we fold TFs together arbitrarily.

What if you changed the code generator to only merge TF nodes if they have
less than some threshold (64?) of operands?  If you avoided making totally
crazy nodes, the problem would be defined away.  Could this work?

-Chris

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/