[LLVMdev] how to dump DSA graph in gdb?

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 23 09:25:24 PDT 2008

Tianwei wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM, John Criswell <criswell at cs.uiuc.edu<mailto:criswell at cs.uiuc.edu>> wrote:
> Dear Tianwei,
>
> You can use the -analyze option to the opt tool to tell the DSA passes
> to store their results in files.  When you use the -analyze option, the
> DSA passes will create a separate file for each function (and possible
> one file to hold the globals graph).  For this reason, I recommend
> running opt in a special empty directory because DSA will generate *a
> lot* of files.
>
> Second, to look at these files, you run them through the dot command
> from the GraphViz package to convert them into a graphic format.  For
> example, I use:
>
> dot -Tpng file.dot > file.png
>
> ... to convert the file into a PNG graphic which I can then examine
> using my graphics program of choice.
>
> John, thanks so much, but i tried the -analyze option, It didn't produce any .dot file in my working directory:
> opt -analyze -load=/home/stw/llvm/install/lib/libLLVMDataStructure.so list.bc -o list-opt.bc

Sorry; I wasn't clear.  The -analyze option is an option to opt to tell
it to print analysis results instead of doing transformations. You still
need to specify the analysis passes that you want run.

For example, to see the local DSA results, do the following:

opt -load <path to libLLVMDataStructure.so> -analyze -datastructure list.bc

To get the Top-Down results, you would do:

opt -load <path to libLLVMDataStructure.so> -analyze -tddatastructure
list.bc

> also the -analyze option in "-help" result shows that:
>   -analyze                                - Only perform analysis, no optimization
>
> did I misunderstand what your said, or my building problem?
>
> Also, you're aware that the -datastructure pass is just the local
> analysis pass, correct?  The inter-procedural part is in the Bottom Up,
> Complete Bottom Up, and Top Down passes.
> Ok, I read Chris's thesis, and only knew the basic framework, so i want to debug the code to
> learn that in more depth.

You can also get information on DSA from the PLDI 2007 paper
(http://llvm.org/pubs/2007-06-10-PLDI-DSA.html).

-- John T.