[LLVMdev] llvm-ld optimization options

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at ugent.be
Thu Apr 17 11:50:24 PDT 2008

On 17 Apr 2008, at 20:39, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, HyperQuantum wrote:
>> I have been wondering why llvm-ld generates the same code with or
> without the option "-O5" so I looked at its source (llvm 2.2). And
> apparently, the options "-On" are accepted but never used! The program
> runs a fixed set of optimization passes, unless "-disable-opt" is
> specified. What is the reason for this? If this is intended, then the
> documentation should say something about this IMHO.
>
> Probably the standard answer: "because noone has done it yet" :)

I don't want to sound too much like advertising our work, but COLE
(see the CGO paper at http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste) seems to be
extremely well suited to figure out which passes should go where for
llvm-ld... Same goes for llvm-gcc and opt btw :-)

I hope I can find the time sometime soon to work on this...

greetings,

Kenneth

--

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. (E. W. Dijkstra)

Kenneth Hoste
ELIS - Ghent University
email: kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be