[LLVMdev] LLVM Server Back Up

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Apr 9 23:34:21 PDT 2008

Am Dienstag, den 08.04.2008, 17:20 -0500 schrieb John Criswell:
> Tanya Lattner wrote:
> > FYI, the mailing lists are handled by separate UIUC servers and are
> > not hosted by the llvm server. All web, svn, etc are on the llvm server.
> >
> > John - Can you find out why the mailing list archives have incorrect
> > time stamps?
> >
> I'm pretty sure it was my laptop.  The time was correct: 11:28.  The
> problem was that I sent it at 11:28 am and not 11:28 pm.
>
> I'm guessing that the timestamp is whatever the email client said it
> was.  Is this incorrect behavior?

Short answer:
There is no such thing as correct behaviour for mail. The only thing
that's really well-defined is the machinery that will make sure that the
mail will arrive, everything else is optional.

Long answer:
It depends on what the mail clients shows.
Usually it shows the Date: header, which IIRC is set by the mail client
and can be any timestamp.
Each mail forwarder adds a Received: header, which includes a timestamp
and which *should* be correct. The mailing list handling software is one
of the mail forwarders in the chain.
It's possible that the mailing list software should add a List-Date:
header, but I'm not sure whether such a convention exists or whether
mail readers use it (Thunderbird certainly won't, it ignores all List-*
headers); also, dcs-maillist.cs.uiuc.edu doesn't add List-Date:, and
it's unlikely they will replace their listmailer software for LLVM
(reconfiguring *might* be an option, provided such a thing as List-Date
exists).

Regards,
Jo