[LLVMdev] Bitwidth analysis?

nkavv at physics.auth.gr nkavv at physics.auth.gr
Wed Apr 9 12:13:10 PDT 2008

Quoting Fernando Magno Quintao Pereira <fernando at CS.UCLA.EDU>:

> Hi, LLVMers,
>
>      has someone implemented bitwidth analysis for LLVM? I was looking for
> something similar to the bitwise compiler described in
>
> "Bidwidth analysis with application to silicon compilation, by Mark
> Stephenson, Jonathan Babb and Saman Amarasinghe"
> e.g.: http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=349299.349317

Hi Fernando

i'm aware of the paper. For some time, i thought that it would make it to the
Trimaran newer releases (this was around 2002-2003). I don't know if this
approach to bitwidth analysis has made to Trimaran 4.0, but it looks like that
it is the basis of commercial technology (i can name the company that uses it,
if it is necessary).

You can ask Rodric Rabbah from MIT, i'm sure he keeps pace with something close
to Stephenson's implementation.

Kind regards
Nikolaos Kavvadias