[LLVMdev] Proposal for GSoC project for clang front end

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Tue Apr 1 17:17:04 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 21:27:18 Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Argiris Kirtzidis wrote:
> > I'd like to hear your opinions and ideas for a proposal to improve
> > support for C++ parsing for LLVM's clang front end.
>
> Some meta feedback: C++ support in clang is a huge project, far and away
> more than any mortal can get done in a summer.  While it would be possible
> to sketch out the parser itself in the summer (providing the equivalent of
> -parse-noop for C) this won't be able to handle a lot of interesting
> cases.  C++ requires a significant amount of semantic analysis just to get
> parsing correct.

You could surely save a lot of time reinventing the wheel by reusing an
existing C++ parser, like Elsa:

  http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~smcpeak/elkhound/

There are even OCaml bindings:

  http://www.cs.ru.nl/~tews/olmar/

These libraries were discussed on the OCaml mailing list recently:

  http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/msg/dd7dad5533647220