[LLVMdev] Lowering operations to 8-bit!

Alireza.Moshtaghi at microchip.com Alireza.Moshtaghi at microchip.com
Fri Sep 28 16:53:23 PDT 2007

ExpandOp is not called at all.
In SelectionDAGLegalize::HandleOp() only the ValueType is considered in
the switch statement to decide if it is legal or promote or expand.
As I trace back (correct me if I'm wrong) these values are set in
TargetLowering::computeRegisterProperties() and it is based on the
largest register class (in my case the smallest possible pointer size,
16-bit)
So it reduces everything down to 16-bit and pretty much ignores the fact
that ADD of i16 is supposed to be expanded.

Am I doing the right analysis?

Ali.