[LLVMdev] Bugs in Getting Started Guide

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Thu Sep 27 23:47:27 PDT 2007

On Thursday 27 September 2007 22:51, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
> The getting started quickly instructions say that you "cd
> where-you-want-the-C-front-end-to-live" and the unzip the
> front-end, followed by "cd where-you-want-llvm-to-live".

Maybe this adds to the confusion: that he has to make decisions
("Where do I want the c-front end to live?") --- and at the same
time the new user is, ahem, 'new', so he can't see the
implications of such a decision.

Maybe a cook-book-receive would be more helpful. Don't present
options to the user, but give him a 'quick' result to work with.

$ wget http://this-file
$ wget http://that-file
$ tar xzf this-file
$ cd blah
$ tar xjf ../that-file
$ cd ..
$ ./configure --prefix=`pwd`/dist --some-more-options
$ make
$ PATH=dist/bin:$PATH
$ # now you can use llvm-gcc etc

Do you want me to work out such a thing?