[LLVMdev] Bugs in Getting Started Guide

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Thu Sep 27 03:28:02 PDT 2007

(*) The “Getting Started Quickly” section describes commands using gunzip;
the binaries are distributed using bzip2 instead.

(*) The directory structure after step 4 doesn’t have a “llvm-3.4” or
“platform” directory; no such command ‘fixheaders’ can be found.

(*) The docs aren’t clear as to which “source code” is needed for step 5:
the LLVM source code, or one of the GCC front-end source bundles. I’m
assuming the LLVM source code, but links here to the
most-recent-released-bundles for each would be *very* helpful here.

(*) There are a bunch of test files in the LLVM source bundle (from the
previous point); is this the Test Suite Source Code?

(*) The docs aren’t clear as to whether the source bundle needs to be opened
in the directory in which I have unbziped/untarred the previous bundle, or
in the directory above it. Since the source build contains a top-level
“llvm-2.1” directory in which everything is stored, I’m assuming I want to
be in the directory above the previous step, so that all these files are in
the same “llvm-2.1” directory.

(*) For a MinGW/MSYS system, is the default /usr/local configure parameter
still the correct one? My MSYS installation doesn’t seem to have one, so
either I screwed that up, or else this isn’t good advice for a MSYS
installation.

When running configure with flex and bison installed, I get “configure:
error: cannot find output from flex; giving up”. Not sure what to do next.
Anybody who’s gotten LLVM installed with MSYS and is willing to walk me
through this, please respond offline. I’ll write up a complete step-by-step
guide and donate it back to llvm.org if I can get an LLVM installation going
under MSYS/MinGW32.

Ted Neward

Java, .NET, XML Services

Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing