[LLVMdev] PointerTypes with AddressSpace

Alireza.Moshtaghi at microchip.com Alireza.Moshtaghi at microchip.com
Wed Sep 12 18:41:44 PDT 2007

Chris,
Extending LLVM IR to support PointerTypes that take an address space is
what I was hoping to avoid. However, if we want to do things right, that
is probably the way to go. Now that we got here, let me write some of my
thoughts on this and solicit your input:

--- 1) Syntax extension:
In our existing compiler for 8-bit microcontrollers, we have introduced
rom and ram qualifiers (with ram being the default one) that can be
applied to any type for example:
rom int a;        //integer in program memory
rom int *a;       //ram pointer to integer in rom
int * rom a;      //rom pointer to integer in ram
rom int * rom a;  //rom pointer to integer in rom
Is something similar to the above what you also envision?

--- 2) Automatic pointers:
This is what we don't have in our existing compiler, but many people are
asking for it. Would it be possible in LLVM to treat pointers as general
all the way to code generation, and then decide its Address Space based
on the following criteria? (we should be able to do so in an LLVM pass
because at code generation time we have the full view of the program)
-- a) Address Space of the pointer is the Address Space of the variable
eg: ptr = &var; //AddSp of ptr becomes AddSp of var
-- b) Address Space of the pointer is the address Space of the pointer
eg: ptr1 = ptr2; //AddSp of ptr1 becomes AddSp of ptr2
-- c) Conflicts inside functions are not resolvable and should generate
diagnostic.
eg:
void f(void){
    generalPtr = romPtr;
    //some code
    generalPtr = ramPtr; // non resolvable conflict
}
-- d) Conflicts at the function interface will spawn a new function
eg:
void inc(int *a){
    (*a)++;
}
void g(void){
    inc(romPointer); // this will spawn an f with rom pointer
    inc(ramPointer); // this will spawn an f with ram pointer
}

In the case of (2) we still need rom and ram qualifiers to declare
variables in the intended Address Space, however the impact on the front
end will probably be reduced.
A combination of (1) and (2) would probably be ideal.

Regards,
Ali.