[LLVMdev] LLVM Build Problems on Windows with MSVC 8

George Russell grrussel at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 1 15:14:05 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm interested in building LLVM for use on a project built with MSVC8. I
have been trying (as yet unsuccessfully) to get the Finbonacci JIT example
to build with 2.0 and SVN head.

Firstly, the instructions at http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStartedVS.html are
no longer correct. The getting the souce code section regarding anonymous
SVN is wrong in step 3. The readme file in the top level directory explains
how to get the code. (Incidentally, this probably requires a cygwin install
to run the shell script!)

Secondly, the source code for LLVM is missing various headers needed to
build (e.g MSVC 8 complains the files cannot be found). These include
DataTypes.h and iterator.h, which are not present in the source tree. There
are .in files (autoconf? input) which should I suppose be used to generate
the required headers. They cannot be simply renamed anyway since they are
not valid headers without being processed in some manner.

Is building the relevent subset of LLVM that should work on Win32 out of the
box with MSVC8 a requirement for 2.1? Are there any steps to take prior to
using the VC solution file on a source copy of LLVM?

Cheers,
George Russell