[LLVMdev] howto: using a chroot of another architecture with qemu

Rafael Espindola espindola at google.com
Tue Oct 23 13:59:12 PDT 2007

I have just build an arm chroot and I imagine others might be
interested on how to do it.

First you need to install qemu. Follow the instructions on
http://wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation. I had some problems
compiling for x86_64, so I just edited qemu's configure to compile for
i686.

Now run debootstrap:

debootstrap --foreign --arch arm sid your_chroot_dir
http://ftp.debian.org/debian

you should now be able to run statically linked program like
your_chroot_dir/lib/ld-linux.so.2

copy qemu to the chroot:
mkdir your_chroot_dir/usr/lib/qemu-binfmt
cp /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static your_chroot_dir/usr/lib/qemu-binfmt/arm

enter the new chroot
chroot your_chroot_dir

finish the install
  /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage