[LLVMdev] llvm newbie

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at mac.com
Tue Oct 16 08:14:50 PDT 2007

On Oct 16, 2007, at 09:36, Sanjiv Gupta wrote:

> Today was the first day when I heard and read about llvm, and I
> would say I am pretty excited to learn about it. The design looks
> simply amazing and the codebase seems to be easy to follow. Way to
> go guys!!!
>
> I immediately downloaded and built the llvm-gcc front-end and the
> llvm tools and libs.
> Also, I could successfully use the llvm-gcc, llvm-dis and llc tools
> to see things in action.
>
> The only problem was given by the driver llvmc.

Sanjiv,

llvmc is pretty experimental and not being actively maintained.

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2007-May/009207.html
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2007-August/010468.html

You can use llvm-gcc and llvm-ld as compiler drivers instead, as well
as the individual LLVM tools:

llvm-as assembler: .ll -> .bc
llvm-link linker: .bc [.bc ...] -> .bc
opt optimizer: .bc -> .bc