[LLVMdev] Examples of aliased register banks

Fernando Magno Quintao Pereira fernando at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Oct 10 10:34:48 PDT 2007

Dear guys,

     I hope you don't mind if my question is a little off topic, but I have
been using LLVM to do register allocation for the x86 aliased register
bank, and now I want to find more applications for my algorithm. So, I
wish I could find an example of a computer architecture with more than two
level of aliasing in the register bank. For instance, SPARC has 16
floating point registers that can be further divided into 32 single
precision registers. Is there an example of an architecture that allows
registers to be divided into two, four or more smaller registers? I
thought at first in MMX, but the MMX instructions do not let me access
each subregister independently.

Please, let me now if this was too off-topic, and then I will not write it
again.

best,

Fernando