[LLVMdev] OCaml Install Error

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at mac.com
Tue Oct 2 00:19:05 PDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 00:17, Bill Wendling wrote:

> I get this error duing a "make install":
>
> llvm[3]: Installing Debug /usr/local/lib/ocaml/libllvm.a
> install: /usr/local/lib/ocaml/libllvm.a: Permission denied
> make[3]: *** [install-a] Error 71
> make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [ocaml/.makeinstall] Error 2
> make: *** [install] Error 1

Fair enough. The problem is that the bindings are installed in the
ocaml stdlib, regardless of --prefix. At the very least, there should
be a configure switch for this. Perhaps better, the default should go
into the stdlib only if the stdlib is under --prefix; otherwise using
$libdir/ocaml. Alternatively, perhaps they should be installed only
with a special make target (Subversion does this).

I'll muck around with the configurey goop to see what I can come up
with. In the meantime, please use a workaround:

sudo make install
-or-
blank out the OCAMLC := line in Makefile.config.in

— Gordon