[LLVMdev] LLVM and OpenMP

Pertti Kellomäki pertti.kellomaki at tut.fi
Tue Nov 27 04:48:29 PST 2007

I am involved in a project where one of the aims is to
study the effects of different parallelization strategies
on efficiency, power consumption etc. The idea is to
do automated design space exploration by varying some
parameters (e.g. number of tasks) and measuring their effect.

Since we are already using LLVM for other purposes, we thought
about using LLVM for analysis and then OpenMP for compilation.
The idea was to use the LLVM back end to spit out C code with
OpenMP directives. However, looking at the C code that llc
produces, it seems that this might be a non-starter, as loops
have already been turned into gotos in the generated C.

I suspect we may need to do something else, but if anyone has
any bright ideas on how to use LLVM for this purpose, I'd be
very grateful.

TIA,
--
Pertti