[LLVMdev] LLVM 2.1 (or later) and Ubuntu Gutsy

John van Schie info at snipers-basketball.nl
Fri Nov 23 15:44:45 PST 2007

Antony Blakey wrote:
> I installed gutsy desktop, and llvm svn head (which compiles for me on
> MacIntel and Win32. The problem I encounter is with gcc. The llvm config
> executes gcc -V, which on my installation fails because -V requires an
> argument. This leads configure to think that the compiler cannot produce
> executables.
>
> I'm not au fait with the gcc version configuration stuff in Ubuntu,
> which is where I suspect this is going wrong.
>
> Antony Blakey

Antony,

My GCC (4.1.3, gutsy) also requires an argument for -V, but that does
not seem to be a problem. The relevant piece of configure.log

configure:2718: gcc -V >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:2721: $? = 1
configure:2744: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2771: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
configure:2774: $? = 0
configure:2820: result: a.out
configure:2825: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:2835: ./a.out
configure:2838: $? = 0
configure:2855: result: yes

A difference may be that I build for x86_64.

Regards,

John