[LLVMdev] how to dump a Instruction in gdb?

Tianwei tianwei.sheng at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 21:39:52 PST 2007

Hi, all:
   I want to know how to dump the a instruction in gdb. I can dump a Module
use M.dump(), also is there any such print function which can be used in gdb
for a single instruction and its operand?
also I'm confused with the concept about " the type a instruction", why a
instruction should have a type, how we decide the type of a instruction? for
example, for the following instruction:
%i = alloca i32, align 4        ; <i32*> [#uses=2]
the following isa is true:
isa<PointerType>(II->getType())

is that the type of a instruction is decided by the type of the result
operand? and it has nothing to do  with the opcode for a instruction?

thanks.

tianwei