[LLVMdev] C embedded extensions and LLVM

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Nov 21 18:22:07 PST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Christopher Lamb wrote:
>>  Unlike alignment and volatility, I think that the address space qualifier
>>  should be represented explicitly in the type system.  The reason for this

> I've come across a hitch. Store instructions do not reference the pointer
> type in the .bc format, only the stored type. The .bc reader constructs the
> pointer type from the stored value's type. This means that the address space
> information doesn't come along for the ride.

Ah, that is annoying. :(

> I see three solutions:
>
> 1) Change how stores are written/read in .bc to store the pointer type rather
> than the stored type. This is the most straight forward, but I think it also
> breaks .bc compatibility in a way that's impossible to work around. There's
> no way to differentiate the new and old forms.

I strongly prefer this approach.  Implementing this without breaking old
.bc files is actually pretty simple.  Just add a new
"FUNC_CODE_INST_STORE2" record, and define it however you want (with a
new, previously unused, ID #).

The reader should read both FUNC_CODE_INST_STORE (which can't involved
addr spaces) and FUNC_CODE_INST_STORE2 (which can).  The .bc writer can
switch to unconditionally writing out stores in FUNC_CODE_INST_STORE2
format.

Please add a generous block comment to
llvm/include/llvm/Bitcode/LLVMBitCodes.h above the new enum explaining
what the difference is though. :)

Thanks Christopher,

-Chris

--