[LLVMdev] Dynamic (JIT) type resolution

Nicolas Geoffray nicolas.geoffray at lip6.fr
Tue Nov 6 08:29:35 PST 2007

Hi Gordon,

Gordon Henriksen wrote:
> Nicholas,
>
> I guess you're trying to solve the fragile base-class problem by
> deferring field offset calculations until JIT compilation time?

No. I'm deferring field offset calculation until /execution /time.

> Perhaps I'm missing something, but can't you accomplish this by using
> external constants in the source program, to be supplied at JIT/link
> time?

If the JIT could make a callback to dynamically resolve the type, that's
the idea (I'm thinking, if a field can have a GhostLinkage, can the
compiler generate a callback? In this case I don't need a new intrinsic).

> Or, quite similarly, accessor functions also to be supplied by the JIT/
> linker:

You lose performance here, because you have to call the accessor
function each time you call the xPlusY function. My goal is to patch the
native code so that you do not need to call these accessor functions again.

>      declare float @obj.x(i8* %obj)
>      declare float @obj.y(i8* %obj)
>
>      define float @xPlusY(i8* %obj) {
>      entry:
>        %x = call float @obj.x(i8* %obj);
>        %y = call float @obj.y(i8* %obj);
>        %sum = add float %x, %y
>        ret float %sum
>      }

After the first execution of xPlusY, the new native code (changed to
LLVM, and imagine there are also some nops to remove the previsous
accessors calls) of xPlusY would be:

%x = offsetx(%obj)
%y = offsety(%obj)
%sum = add float %x, %y