[LLVMdev] predefined pass for transforming a module to SSA?

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu May 17 06:58:21 PDT 2007

Anton Korobeynikov wrote:

To add to what Anton has said:

You need to generate your code in SSA form.  Generating SSA code is kind
of a pain, so here's the easiest way to do it:

1) Make all of your variables memory locations (LLVM globals or LLVM
alloca instructions).  Every time you use the variable, use the LLVM
load and store instructions to read and write its value.

2) After your LLVM bytecode is generated, use the mem2reg pass (opt
-mem2reg) to convert the memory locations into LLVM virtual registers.
The mem2reg pass will take care of all the details of creating phi nodes
and such.

This is what we did for the C frontend in LLVM 1.8 and previous (we
probably do it in LLVM 1.9 and later, but I'm not sure).

-- John T.