[LLVMdev] Back End for a stack based architecture

Giovanni Di Guardo gdiguardo at gmail.com
Wed May 16 05:33:00 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I was asked to write a C compiler back end for a dated stack based
architecture, i.e. once whose instructions operate only on the top
elements of a stack and doesn't use arguments, something like the JVM.

I looked at some open source compilers (gcc, sdcc, tinyc and LLVM). To
me LLVM seems promising (and I likes C++).

Because I'm new here I need your help to understand if:

1) LLVM could be used to target stack based architecture

2) is possible but LLVM is not the best solution for that kind of
architecture (in this case any hint for the rigth compiler is very
appreciated)

thanks,

Giovanni