[LLVMdev] goodbye bytecode, hello bitcode

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun May 6 04:07:49 PDT 2007

I just checked in the final bits to switch us over from bytecode to
bitcode.  Old bytecode files will not work, but I expect this format to be
stable going forward with the 2.x series of releases.

This new format has a number of advantages.  In particular:

1. The files are smaller.
2. The reader takes about 2/3 the memory it did before.
3. The reader is about 1/2 the code size of the old reader.
4. We don't need to carry around bzip2 etc
5. The new format is *much* easier to keep stable going forward.

Please let me know if you run into any problems.  Documentation of the
file format is in the works.  The bytecode support code is still in the
tree, but isn't being built.  Assuming no major problems, I will remove
the old code tomorrow.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/