[LLVMdev] alias information on machine instructions

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu May 3 20:43:14 PDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Florian Brandner wrote:
> i`m working on a machine instruction scheduler for an VLIW architecture.
> loads are somewhat expensive on this architecture, thus i would like to
> reorder unrelated loads/stores to better hide load latencies.
>
> to do this, i would need alias information on machine instructions,
> i.e., which machine instructions may access the same memory region.
>
> as far as i know, this is not available at the moment? are there any
> plans to get aliasing information on machine instructions?

There are a couple of ways to do this.  Is your scheduler a prepass
scheduler (before regalloc) or a post-pass scheduler (after regalloc)?  If
you want to extract maximal parallelism, I assume you want a prepass
scheduler.  In that case, you should look into the SelectionDAG based
schedulers, which do have alias information on them.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/